Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Week of the Jean Quilt

This past week my goal was to start and finish a jean quilt for Vaughn. MaryJane had started the project as a Christmas gift for him a few years ago and after not having much access to our serger and sewing machine as it had been loaned out multiple places and then I ended up with it, she turned it over to me at Thanksgiving time last year and I knew that with my sister-in-law Heidi’s help that I could get it done. Everything worked out great as I spent Tuesday through Saturday afternoons working on it over at Heidi’s. Tyson and Lincoln had many opportunities to play with their cousins Erika and Emily and had a great time exploring around the wash. On Saturday we set up Heidi’s quilting frames in Phyllis’ basement (a.k.a Ben and Tia’s place) and tied the quilt most of the afternoon and finished pinning the binding that evening, so technically I didn’t finish it last week, but it is very close to done so that when we go to Oregon for George’s farewell then I can take it to him. One of the days when the kids were playing in the back at Heidi’s I heard this conversation take place:
Tyson: Well, only girls can’t go to the temple!
Twin 1: Yeah, only mommies and daddies can go to the temple (as she sides herself by Tyson).
Twin 2: Well, I’m Josh then! (I thought her to be very witty to quickly call herself Josh so that as a boy she could go to the temple). I’m sure they will all be excited when they grow up and learn that as they live their lives right and worthy then they all can go, not just mommies & daddies or boys. On Friday Sheldon, SaraAnn, Marshall, and Luke came into town for the weekend. Tyson and Marshall had a great time. At one point I went outside to talk to Adam and one of the twins came up to me, from being over by their horses, and said, “MaRae (LaRae), Marshall said that they is not our horses, and they is!!!” She said it with such passion and Marshall had a smirk on his face as if he knew he was harassing her. Shortly after that Erika and Emily did not like it that Marshall and Tyson would not play with them and came complaining to me about it. I took the opportunity to point out how it is not very nice to treat others that way as when the twins are with a few other girl cousins and quite often I find Tyson complaining about the same thing since usually he is the only boy trying to fit in. Friday evening we went to the St. George airport and welcomed Bryce Hastings home from his mission in California (I snapped this picture later on while he was trying to prepare his homecoming talk for next week). Afterward we all gathered at the Golden Corral for dinner. Lincoln hasn’t been feeling good the last few days and I noticed some spots on his tongue yesterday, which Phyllis thinks he has stomatitis, a viral infection that lasts about a week with high fevers and possible throwing up.

0 comments: