Sunday, February 14, 2010

Smashed Toe and Not Fun Being Sick

This last week my goal was to get our taxes done. My part is done as everything is now in the accountants' hands so I guess you could say that I accomplished that goal. That is a relief and boy am I glad that accountants exist.
Last Sunday Tyson's toe was smashed with a fireplace tool and he has been having a lot of attention from Adam and I during his pain. Everytime I go to put some essential oils on it he says, “Are you being careful?” or “Please be careful mom.” The toe is not a pretty site and he has been complaining about it hurting from the time it happened. With that and Lincoln still not feeling well we have spent a lot of time at home and I don’t know who it is harder on me or the boys to have to be homebound. Wednesday took a turn for the worse as in the early evening when we had gone by Susie’s, she felt him to be warm and took a 103 degree temperature. I took him home and gave him some Tylenol and about an hour later it had only dropped to 102 degrees, so with Adam being out of town to Arizona and not scheduled to be back until after midnight then I waited till Susie was done exercising and asked her to come with me and take both boys to the walk in night clinic over in St. George. We waited for about 2 hours trying to entertain the boys and make them comfortable. When we finally got in they took their temperatures and oxygen levels and found them both to be high and low in oxygen. They gave the boys breathing treatments for asthma and as Lincoln’s breathing and oxygen level improved, Tyson’s did not so they did a 2nd treatment on him and still no improvement. They said that it was more than likely some kind of virus that was triggering the asthma, but with his oxygen level being so low that they couldn’t send him home and we would have to go over to the hospital for the night. I had Susie drop Tyson and I off over at the other hospital, which is where the delivery and pediatric unit is. Susie took Lincoln home to Adam as he was now back and while Adam gave Lincoln breathing treatments through the night at home (Lincoln in the picture during one of his treatments later in the week, was very good), I was with Tyson in the hospital and he was getting the same. Luckily this hospital visit did not require an IV, and I kept using that on Tyson when ever he was being difficult in doing the treatments and taking medicine. He was good about drinking water and believe it or not going to the bathroom. The time that I would think a child would not want to deal with going in the toilet and just using a diaper, but not him. I was pushing for us going home later that morning, as I could tell that Tyson was getting stir crazy and was difficult at times to control (probably the meds), so the pediatrician said that if I felt comfortable taking oxygen tanks home then it would be fine to do so. I was trained on the oxygen equipment and around 5 p.m. we headed home after stopping to get some medicine. Tyson and Lincoln spent the rest of the week trying to recuperate. I managed with the Lord’s help to give the Relief Society lesson on Sunday that I had said I would do last week when the counselor was looking for a substitute, not knowing what I would be dealing with a majority of the week. I found it very challenging to focus preparing for it throughout the week as a cough or cry would take my thoughts to a Dr. Mom mode and try to think if I was missing anything that I should be doing for my boys. We have taken the boys to the flat a little each day as it seems to cheer them up and they look a lot healthier while trying to run around and do farm stuff. It has been a very tiresome week.

0 comments: