Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cloth Diapers and McDonalds

This post will mostly be about Tyson as that is what everyday of the week has consisted of. Two Saturdays ago he woke up throwing up, spent the day through Thursday with diarrhea and occasional throw up sessions and after advice from a very knowledgable and experienced aunt was able to have most of a normal day Friday and Saturday. Basically I pulled out the cloth diapers that I had used for burping him and such when he was a baby and turned them into actual cloth diapers. This all came about as I found myself not only being sick of what I was constantly changing (I'll spare everyone of pictures of that), but watching diaper after diaper being thrown away and thinking of the expense this was going to be, so when you banish yourself to your house all week then the cloth diapers can be managable, but not my choice of preference. Just when I thought it was getting better and switched back to normal, convenient diapers, I found myself going back to the dreadful cloth diapers as Tyson was not improving. I really can say that it was quite miserable, probably more for him than me. I was advised over the phone by those at his pediatrician's office to only give him pedialyte, which only caused him to have that come out as diarrhea and to be starving for food, so when I called Aunt Beth on Friday morning to get a second opinion she said, "That boy needs food. Take him to McDonalds and get him some greasy french fries." Of course that would be after we eased him back into eating with slices of banana and pieces of buttered toast. Tyson was so excited for those that his hands just shook with delight when Susie brought him his plate of food and of course when he scarfed it down (as I tried to have him eat it slowly), he took off to find Susie and give her his plate and signal for more food. It was a sad but funny site. Sad, because he was starving so bad. After going to bed that night and waking up around 11:30 p.m. he threw everything up again that he had just eaten that day, but we did have great progress in the frequency of changing diapers and with much joy went back to the normal diapers. Saturday morning I consulted with Aunt Beth again and then tried the same routine of easing him back into eating and letting his stomach adjust to eating again. It was quite successful and I have great hope that he will be back to normal soon. He spent Saturday evening dancing with g-ma Stout, eating her food, and enjoying her touch of rubbing his belly. When she would stop he would lift his shirt back up, grab her hand, and put it back on his belly. Pretty entertaining.

We switched to 9 a.m. for church this new year and are really enjoying it. We came home from church, put dinner in the oven and while everyone else is napping, I'm catching up on posting. Adam was funny after church as I found him bringing me all sorts of bottles of natural herbs that he could find in the cupboard along with a peeled orange, ordering me to take them. He had a "healthy" conversation with his sister Monterray and later on with Lolly about nutrition and although we both know that I do need to eat better and probably purchase some other vitamins and herbs to try to replace what I am lacking, his quick Sunday solution was pretty funny. But now that I am seriously thinking about it, it is not so funny that it is close to 3 p.m. and I have had half of a Nature Valley granola bar and that orange that Adam comically forced on me today to eat. Signs that I really do need to eat better or actually eat. So after a a quick snack, short nap, and then a yummy Oregon potato dinner (Thanks to the Petersons), we'll probably head out to the flat to make sure that Wynn hasn't gone inactive after having to switch to the 1 p.m. church meeting time.

2 comments:

Karli said...

You are so brave to use cloth diapers! I don't know if I could do it, so I admire you greatly! I understand how you'd want to make that decision though.

Hope the little guy is feeling lots better. It is no fun to be sick. Hope you enjoyed the potatoes, too. I am making homemade mac & cheese & hamburger patties tonight I think... Love you!
K

Gena Susan said...

Larae,
I found your blog link on Devon & Jamie McDonald's blog! I'm married to Jeff Patten. It's so fun to read your blog and see pictures of your cute boy, Tyson. Jeff sends a "hello! and Hope you guys are doing well!"

Gena